Wednesday, August 12, 2015

the good amongst it all.

Breathe.

I have been avoiding this. Avoiding blogging about the recent developments. Because no one likes to talk about the bad stuff. Especially when you've already went down that road.

So while the "bad stuff" is not definitive yet. I decided I would blog about the good stuff. Because there has been good stuff and sunshine never seems to get enough attention in the middle of murky waters.



1. The last time I blogged, I was talking about swim lessons and how I was going to miss part of them - yes this was a month ago - but I'm happy to report that Maddy PASSED her swim level!!! WOO!!


She had to make sure she was dressed all fancy when she took this picture. I am truly grateful to my best friend Ana, for not only taking her to swimming but making sure to capture the moment too!


This was such a monumental part of Maddy's summer and watching the progression of her being scared of the water to embracing something new!


She started the swim lessons not even willing to get in the pool, let alone jump in from the side.....to jumping off the diving board!! Yes, she did that one with her floatie but she never did that before! Ever!

2. She learned how to tie her shoes!

This is huge and a very difficult fine motor skill! Thanks to alot of help from her OT, Stephanie and many hours of practice at home...she can now completely tie her shoes on her own. I sometimes forget that she can do this and while it does take her a bit longer than her sisters - she is getting to be a seasoned pro. I find myself wondering what is taking so long when she puts them on and then remember that she is learning and growing and mastering a skill

3. Sleep!

We have made it past the 90 day mark and while her behavior is up and down....her sleep has been consistent. This is a first in her entire life. She does still require a bit of aid in falling asleep - a very low dose of melatonin - she has been consistently sleeping through the night since early spring. This is very new. And yes, we are dealing with all sorts of behavioral changes....we can be happy that she is SLEEPING!!

4. Good Reports

Her eye doctor was very happy with the progression she is making with her lazy eye in her right eye. It is getting better and her vision has not changed much in the 10 months since we visited last. He is always very impressed with her and at this time sees no major concerns for a visual processing disorder. She will take part in a video gaming/autism study this fall.

Her dentist is happy to say the girl remains cavity free and while she has lost only 4 teeth...all are healthy! This summer was the first time that she was able to get dental x-rays done. She could not tolerate it before and they discovered that she is actually missing a molar in the back of her mouth - rare phenomenon but nothing too worrisome.

Dr. MAL is happy with her progress at OT and all the GOOD changes we are seeing. She is maintaining adequate eye contact and can keep conversations going. She is miles from where her future was before ABA....for that we are thankful.


There are things in her diagnosis that we need to rule out. Things that need to be discovered, monitored, tested, and evaluated. I don't want to go into depths of it because I want to know what we are actually dealing with and not what we might be dealing with. That's all I really want to say....because....

because we don't know yet.

We will go down that road and she will be tested, evaluated, and monitored.

Maddy - like any child with a history of spectrum disorder - is different. Unique. I am not ready to deal with more complications but it's only because I'm tired. I will deal with it because that's my job and I LOVE HER. But admittedly, I'm tired.

Maddy has been tested for all but 17 months of her life. And watched. And monitored. And evaluated.

By people who I trust and whom I know care about her.

But it's still tiring.

So....rejoice with me on the GOOD things....i will keep you updated on the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment