Monday, March 2, 2015

ready, set, go.

We are in the last week of our old normal.

Next week Maddy starts therapy beyond what we have been doing at home.

And if I must, let me digress for a moment and say that the at-home sensory therapy seems to be helping. She is mastering her Moro Reflex "Starfish" movements and I can honestly tell a difference when she has been consistent with her Starfish and when she has not.

I know. It sounds nuts.

How does moving like a starfish for a few moments reconnect the brain and help her manage her emotions, mood swings, frustration and improve reading skills?

I honestly don't know. But it does.

She is reconnecting parts of her brain. God has made our bodies crazy amazing.

When we finally get scheduled with OT - I am sure she will get a new movement. She will be excited and resistant at first but Starfish has become a very important part of our day.

Say what you will about Yoga or Stretching activities - call it what you want, but as long as your heart is set on Jesus, it's not evil or pagan. It's just movement. I can praise God for the glorious ways he has made our bodies and I shouldn't be surprised that stretching and meditating on the Lord will help you rewire your brain. It sure helps rewire your heart. 

Dr. MAL agreed that most of what we are dealing with is sensory - she sent us home with the Vineland (diagnostic tool for ASD) to fill out and send back (ooops...better get on that!) and we will go back to her in May.

Maddy saw Jen in Speech last Thursday. It went well enough. Maddy is definitely vocal. She expressed her opinions to the point where I literally wanted to take her out of the testing and correct her sassy responses to the testing that she found beyond boring. (UGH< IS THIS OVER YET?)

We are awaiting test scores to see if she will need speech services but she did get signed up for a Social Skills Group that starts next Thursday. 1 hour long peer group with other kids with various needs in the social skill department. I hope she likes it. She needs help in this area.

It will be a weekly group so that will be trip 1 to the city and when we get OT scheduled that will make trip 2 to the city for the week.

I am not complaining. I will, always, do whatever is necessary to give Maddy the skills and tools she needs in life to - not just be successful - but to be happy.

That is about all I can update. Some days are great and others are awful. Such is life with kids, yes, I know.

I have to just reflect upon how drastically different and unimaginably beautiful Maddy has made my life. 

She sees the world beyond normal and when I catch a glimmer of how she sees it - it sure looks different. Sometimes beautiful and sometimes ugly. We have work to do. All of us. Maddy doesn't just go into therapy. We all do.


No comments:

Post a Comment