Wednesday, March 4, 2015

stop. just stop.

Nearly all of 2015 has been a testing phase for Maddy. Almost every thing we have done with her has involved testing of some sort.

It is a necessary evil.

I know this.

But can I just pause for a second and plead this: "Will someone please take a second and praise my daughter for what she CAN do?"

I feel like I have been going for 2 months strong now being told what she cannot do. Where she falls short. Where she isn't stacking up to her peers. Where she is lacking.

What about what she can do??

I am so tired. So tired. To see my amazing miracle of a child being looked at as less than.

I have all the lists of what we NEED to do. What we should incorporate in our new daily life. But can we take a breath and say 'hey - she scored ABOVE normal in her core language skills! Hey - she has an incredible expressive vocabulary!"

No one likes to hear all day what they can't do. Why would they ever try if all they hear is can't?

Can I NOT be the only person saying, 'her story is incredible. Incredible! She is an amazing kid. She is funny, loving, expresses her feelings, is compassionate and helpful. Have you seen her problem solve a video game? It is extraordinary! Have you looked into her brown eyes and felt a hug from her arms? You will melt!"

I'm tired. It's late. I feel defeated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment